A fresh, savoury salad featuring Niagara ice wine dressing.
1. Heat half an oz. of grape seed oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Season 2 filets trout with salt and pepper. Sear skin side done until golden brown, flipping once, until golden and cooked through, 3–4 minutes.
2. Place washed potatoes whole in a medium sauce pot, cover with cold water and salt. Bring water up to a boil, and then turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Once cooked, strain water and let potatoes cool to room temp. Once room temp, peel skin off all the potatoes and slice into bite sized rounds
3. Cut bacon into small cubes, heat a fry pan on medium high. Place bacon in hot pan, and render out fat until golden brown. Strain fat, cool bacon on paper towel, to absorb access fat.
4. Place ice wine, grainy mustard, champagne vinegar into medium mixing bowl. Whisk together, once mixed, slowly emulsify grapeseed oil in. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Now in a large mixing bowl, add watercress, potatoes, almonds, bacon, and dress the salad with the ice wine dressing, season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place salad into the middle of your serving plate, slice the trout fillet down the middle and arrange on top of the salad. Place a couple dollops of caviar around the plate. Ready to enjoy!